Dr. Lalani educates parents on pediatric cavity prevention. The best treatment for a cavity is preventing it. Teaching your child good oral hygiene habits is the best way to ensure long-lasting dental health. Parents should assist children with teeth brushing until they become proficient at cleaning teeth thoroughly. Making it a fun time together will encourage your child to brush often. Learn about other dental services provided by Dr. Lalani.
Tips to Prevent Cavities in Children
- Brush teeth at least twice a day
- Use fluoride-containing toothpaste: Your dentist will instruct you on safe amounts for younger children.
- Use floss daily to remove plaque in between teeth: Fun character flossers are available for children.
- Drink tap water: Most water supplies contain fluoride which strengthens teeth.
- Limit sugary foods and drinks
- Avoid all-day sipping and frequent snacking
- Eat a healthy diet: Fruits and vegetables actually increase saliva flow which helps wash away bacteria.
- Visit your dentist regularly: Dental check-ups are recommended twice a year, starting at the first birthday or upon tooth eruption.
- Get dental sealants: Having your dentist apply these protective coverings can protect your child’s teeth for up to 10 years, reducing the risk of cavities. At Discovery Kids, Dr. Lalani uses only BPA-free dental sealants to ensure that your child is not exposed to any potentially harmful substances.
It’s important to all of us here at Discovery Kids Pediatric Dentistry that your child achieves and maintains a healthy smile. We do our best to help educate our patients and parents on all aspects of prevention.
What Does Preventative Care Include?
There are several ways that we can work together with parents to prevent any dental problems for kids. Below are a few of the measures we can take together to provide your child with a cavity-free childhood:
- Oral Hygiene At Home – The first and most important step to take is teaching your child proper oral hygiene habits at home. This will set a solid foundation for dental health for the rest of your child’s life. Make sure you’re teaching your child to brush at least twice a day with a soft-bristled toothbrush small enough to fit around your child’s back teeth. We also recommend daily flossing to remove plaque and food debris stuck between the teeth.
- Annual Dental Checkups – The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry has recommended that you bring your child in for a dental cleaning and exam every 6 months. During these appointments, your child can look forward to having their teeth sparkled, receiving low radiation x-rays if needed, having an exam performed in order to identify any concerns, in addition to getting a recommended fluoride treatment. And finally, every appointment at Discovery Kids Pediatric Dentistry ends with a prize!
- Fluoride Treatments – Fluoride is a naturally occurring mineral. This mineral has been proven to prevent tooth decay by strengthening enamel and making the tooth more resistant to acid and plaque. Studies have shown that children who receive fluoride treatments develop 35-40% fewer cavities than those who don’t. It’s been recommended that children receive fluoride treatments every 6 months. After the teeth have been cleaned, fluoride is quickly painted onto the teeth, usually in a fun flavor. .If you have any concerns regarding the fluoride treatment, please do not hesitate to discuss them with the dentist.
- Dental Sealants – Dental sealants are a preventive measure to help protect the grooves and pits on the chewing surfaces of teeth and help reduce the chance of getting cavities. They are applied as a liquid which hardens, providing a protective shield. Sealants are especially helpful for young kids who are just learning how to brush and may not do a great job at getting into all the nooks and crannies of their teeth.
To make an appointment for your child to receive a dental cleaning and exam, or to ask questions regarding your child’s oral healthcare at home, please contact Discovery Kids Pediatric Dentistry in Frisco, TX. Find a pediatric dentist today where healthy smiles are our top priority!
At Discovery Kids Pediatric Dentistry, our priority is providing the highest quality dental care in a kid-friendly environment that results in a lifetime of good dental health. If you are concerned that your child may have a cavity, contact our office for a thorough dental examination.
Dr. Zarmin Lalani is a board certified pediatric dentist in Frisco dedicated to helping her patients develop and maintain good oral health habits that last a lifetime. If you are looking for a pediatric dental office to call your dental home, please contact Dr. Zarmin Lalani and her team at Discovery Kids Pediatric Dentistry Frisco, Texas, by completing an online appointment request or phone 469-365-5437.