Valentine’s Day is a fun, romantic holiday to show your loved ones how much you appreciate them. But have you ever stopped to wonder where Valentine’s Day and its traditions came from? It turns out there are lots of fun and interesting facts about Valentine’s Day and how we celebrate it.
Valentine’s Day Facts
- Teachers receive the largest number of valentines every year, followed closely by children, moms, wives, and partners.
- Around 9 million pet owners will purchase Valentine’s Day gifts for their pets this year!
- More than 50% of Valentine’s Day cards are purchased in the 5 days before February 14th. That’s a lot of procrastinators!
- Men spend almost double on Valentine’s Day than women. On average, a man will spend around $150, while women will only spend around $80.
- Valentine’s Day is one of the largest card-sending days of the year, second only to Christmas. In fact, around a billion valentines are sent every year worldwide!
- In the Middle Ages, young adults would draw names from a bowl to choose their valentines for them. They would wear the name of their valentine on their sleeve for the entire week. This is where the saying “to wear your heart on your sleeve” comes from.
- Around 15-20% of women will send themselves Valentine’s Day flowers.
- The oldest valentine ever found is from the year 1415. It’s a poem written by the Duke of Orleans to his wife.
We hope you enjoyed learning a little more about Valentine’s Day! You can use these fun facts to wow your valentine this year.
To make an appointment for your child to receive a dental cleaning and checkup, please contact Discovery Kids Pediatric Dentistry! Our friendly and knowledgeable child’s dental office is located in Frisco, TX.
If you would like to learn more about pediatric dental care not covered in our dental topics from Discovery Kids Pediatric Dentistry, please complete an online appointment request or phone 469-365-5437.